Full Breakdown Of American League Gold Glove Award Finalists Released; No Angels Players Listed
Gold Glove Award
Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

Major League Baseball announced their full list of American League finalists for the 2023 Rawlings Gold Glove Award. With each award recognizing the game’s best defensive players.

The Angels were void of any representative on the current list, with only Hunter Renfroe being a qualified candidate for innings played.

To determine the winners from each league, 30 MLB managers and up to six coaches from each team cast their vote from a pool of players in their respective league. Votes are comprised of 75% from the selection total, with the SABR Defensive Index counting for the other 25%.

Winners will be announced ESPN’s “Baseball Tonight” on Sunday, Nov. 5 at 7:30 p.m. ET.

American League


José Berríos, Toronto Blue Jays
Sonny Gray, Minnesota Twins
Pablo López, Minnesota Twins


Jonah Heim, Texas Rangers
Alejandro Kirk, Toronto Blue Jays
Adley Rutschman, Baltimore Orioles

First Base

Nathaniel Lowe, Texas Rangers
Ryan Mountcastle, Baltimore Orioles
Anthony Rizzo, New York Yankees

Second Base

Mauricio Dubón, Houston Astros
Andrés Giménez, Cleveland Guardians
Marcus Semien, Texas Rangers

Third Base

Alex Bregman, Houston Astros
Matt Chapman, Toronto Blue Jays
José Ramírez, Cleveland Guardians


Carlos Correa, Minnesota Twins
Corey Seager, Texas Rangers
Anthony Volpe, New York Yankees

Left Field

Austin Hays, Baltimore Orioles
Steven Kwan, Cleveland Guardians
Daulton Varsho, Toronto Blue Jays

Center Field

Kevin Kiermaier, Toronta
Luis Robert Jr., Chicago White Sox
Julio Rodríguez, Seattle Mariners

Right Field

Adolis García, Texas Rangers
Kyle Tucker, Houston Astros
Alex Verdugo, Boston Red Sox

Second consecutive year without Gold Glove Award for Angels

Coming away without an award this season isn’t an indication that the Angels lacked solid defensive play, but more of a lacking string of consistency on the roster over an extended period.

Gio Urshela, Mickey Moniak and Randal Grichuk were among the Angels top performers, when just picking solid performances according to UZR/150 and DRS.

In 2021, David Fletcher and Jared Walsh were among finalists, but again, came away without a Rawlings Gold Glove Award.

Make sure to follow Angels Nation on Twitter for all the latest news and updates surrounding the Halos!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *